Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Recipe Shock

My husband and I love the sitcom "Everyone Loves Raymond". I think we enjoy it because there are so many similarities to our own families. Often the episodes involve Ray's mother and wife in battles over cooking. One episode in particular (if I weren't so lazy I would find the clip for you) Ray's mother gives his wife a botched recipe. The hubby and I laughed 'til we cried. The reason we find this so funny is that I experience the recipe drama with my mother-in-law. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but she mysteriously looses recipes when I ask her for them--even if we are eating the food right then the recipe is magically gone. Or better yet a few weeks after I ask for it she will make the item. It is classic.

Now on with the point. A few months ago I was sorting through some stuff and found a Ziploc with typed recipes that my husband was given before leaving on his mission. In this bag I found several of the recipes I had been asking for (which by the way are the hubby's favorites--hence the reason for asking). I laughed an evil, demonic laugh and began to cook them up. I had forgotten this until Sunday. While eating dinner with the in-laws the mother - for some reason I cannot remember - mentioned that she had typed favorite recipes for her kids when they left on their missions. I then said "I know I just found 'hubby's', and have been cooking for him". She sat there in stunned silence and you could just see the shock in her face. She didn't know what to say and tried to change the subject. I thought to myself "Bwahh, ha, ha, ha you can't keep them from me forever." It was great!

1 comments:

Megan said...

I feel vindication and they're not even my nasty inlaws.