Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Adoption Saga

And so it begins.

Many of you know I have fertility issues. For those who weren't aware, never fear. It is not a particularly touchy issue for me(unless coming from the in-laws). It is what it is and I consider it to be one of my big trials in life. I am not completely barren. After 6 1/2 years of grief I was blessed with The Maniac. He is truly the biggest blessing in my life, aside from Delmar of course. The Maniac is almost 2 now and I have been trying for much of that time to produce a sibling. We do not want an only child, we were planning on at least 5 when we married. No luck.

As I am getting along in child bearing years we determined it was time. We started our preliminary adoption paperwork in November. Yesterday we met with our assigned case worker in what is called an "Intake Interview". 1 1/2 hours later we exited the building. We took with us a giant stack of paperwork, a 300 page book, and minus $1,015. There are additional forms we need to complete online. We must give them certified copies of birth certificates, marriage license, fingerprints, FBI background checks. We will need to attend a weekend adoption class, which is only offered once every 3 months and not again until April. There is more. I am getting tired listing it all, not to mention the list is most likely very boring for you.

The kicker is if I get pregnant(could happen I have been once) before being selected by a birth mother our file will be put on "hold". Once I give birth the file can not be reactivated until our baby is 1. At which time we will have exceeded the inactive time limit and will need to start the process again.

I know there is a reason for all of this. It is just a little overwhelming right now. As the process continues I will update. I will also do my best to find humor in all of this. Could be interesting.

5 comments:

L said...

One of my classes was the assessments you will surely or surely have undergone in order to see if your mental capacity is suitable to adopt. Although I understand why the process is in place, I often question why it is people who shouldn't having kids that are blessed to be able to birth them.

I don't believe in eugenics but I just wonder why crack whores keep getting to pop kiddos out when moms who actually want to have kids don't get to go through that process. Random of me? Yes.

The MacMizzles said...

And so it begins.

I am never very good at finding humor while I struggle.

Here is what I do think though. Why was rabid so selfish on her trip to India? She should have brought all of us back babies. Beautiful babies. Darn her. Maybe then no one would ask me if my kids are adopted. Next time I am going to say yes, and tell them we rescued them from an orphanage in Denmark.

mreay said...

I sometimes forget about this lovely blog. I'm used to seeing your family stuff. It's always fun to read...especially the (in-law) stuff. Our prayers are with you, I know this hasn't been an easy journey...but I know the Lord answers prayers in unusual ways. And through it all came the darling little Maniac.

Rabid said...

So Winder. Did you get a quotation on the expensiveness of a certain procedure? We're going to have a blogger fund raiser to get enough cash so as you can have your Ute-ris scraped. (Even if I'm the only one who donates.)

Megan said...

I'll donate too. I'll do whatever the Rabid does.